What is Early College Reads?
Early College Reads is our independent reading program for students in grades 9-12. Here's what you need to know:
- You choose what you read from our Early College collection in the ECC library.
- You set a goal for how many books you want to read and how many points you want to earn for each grading period.
- You read at your own pace. We recommend 20 minutes a day in school (House/tutoring) and at least 20 minutes at home each night.
- You earn points and credits for your reading by taking an online quiz when you complete each book. Twenty percent of your House grade is based on reading points according to the scale below.
- You complete one novel study per grading period that is submitted directly to Mr. Smith. The novel study assignments will be posted on our Google announcements at the start of each grading period for your reference.
Early College Reads Point Scale:
- 25-30 points = 100 (A)
- 20-24 points = 89 (B)
- 15-19 points = 79 (C)
- 10-14 points = 69 (D)
- 5 - 9 points = 59 (F)
- 1-4 points = 50 (F)
- 0 points = 0
Final Due Dates for Reading Points & Novel Studies:
- September 15
- October 31
- December 8
- February 15
- March 29
- May 18