2020 – 2021
2020 – 2021
What is Service Learning?
- Meaningful community service integrated with reflection to enrich the learning experience.
- Service learning teaches civic responsibility and strengthens character and communities.
- Scholars can access ideas for service learning on our EECHS Resources Page.
Who participates in Service Learning?
- All students at EECHS must complete 20 hours per semester, except those students who are completing their junior internship and or senior project.
- Students completing internship or Graduation Project will submit the 20 hours completed during their internship to their House/Seminar teacher.
When should Service Learning be completed?
- Service Learning may be completed from August 1, 2020 – May 20, 2021.
- Students can log a maximum of 10 hours for credit during the summer months.
- Each student is required to complete 20 hours per semester.
- Service Learning hours and required reflections will be audited once per grading period to determine participation by every student. Students will receive instructions about completing reflections in their House seminars.
- One reflection is expected and hours are to be completed for each of the following checkpoints:
How is Service Learning graded?
- Service Learning comprises 30% of your grade in House for each grading period(service form = 15%; service reflection = 15%).
- In addition, the final exam grade in House each semester is based on a capstone presentation of learning at each grade level (Design Challenge for grades 9 and 10, Junior Internship for grade 11;and Senior Project for grade 12).
- Students who falsifying service hours (cheating) incur a steep penalty, which may include:
- A “0” grade for the falsified service hours for that grading period;
- A referral to the principal’s office for academic integrity;
- Parents will be called in for a meeting with Mr. Williams, your House/Seminar teacher, and administration. The incident will be documented in your academic folder.